Boy, I can sure talk, can't I?

There's a very chatty, very lengthy new interview with me up at Praxis Magazine, which I encourage everyone to check out. I yammer on at length about my books, my creative process, my experiences in the entertainment industry, and, uh, Duran Duran. The interviewer, Andie Nash, is smart and fun and generally awesome. She's also an excellent novelist--her book Thanks, That Was Fun is a hell of a good read.

As discussed in the interview, I have a new book coming out next month: Lonely Satellite, which I describe as "...the Bizarro-world version of Bias Cut. This time around, in this alternate version of events, a somewhat tougher version of Laurie is fending his way through a dangerous post-apocalyptic world, running into tweaked versions of the same characters and predicaments he experienced in Bias Cut, only in a more bizarre setting."  So, y'know, if you read Bias Cut and thought, "Gee, I like these characters a lot, but I sure wish they were thrust into a gritty post-apocalyptic world", there is every chance you'll dig Lonely Satellite. There's no set release date yet, but look for it in early October, in both paperback and ebook formats.

Also, my lovingly-detailed analyses of MTV's Teen Wolf are gathering dust. Seriously, nobody's been visiting them. Which is a shame, because they're actually really good! Come on, supernatural teen-soap aficionados, let's start a conversation! Suggested topics of discussion: Why does Season Three suck so badly thus far? (Short answer: No Jackson, no Erica, they killed off the awesomely snarky Mr. Harris, they added a slew of undifferentiated and noncommittal new characters, they gave us no compelling villains, the plotting got lazier and more slapdash, and the formerly lightning-swift pacing slowed down and derailed when they started experimenting with flashbacks and framing devices. Oh, and no lacrosse.) What are your feelings on BuzzFeed's ranking of the men of Teen Wolf? Why is Allison written as a sensible and smart young woman 90% of the time and as a complete lunatic jackass the remaining 10%? Why was Derek so hilariously incompetent as the Alpha? Does anyone in the known universe look better naked than Colton Haynes? Let's discuss.

Comments

Ingrid Richter said…
Love the interview, o sister of mine!

I'm blaming the downfall of Season 3 of Teen Wolf on the death of Mr. Harris myself - I miss his snarky, bespectacled disdain...

That or, you know, the fact that we were *paying* $1.99 per episode instead of watching it for free. Ups the stakes a bit.
Morgan Richter said…
I know! For $1.99, I just expect more from my entertainment. At the very least, I expect frequent locker-room scenes where Jackson wanders around in a low-slung towel, and that kind of thing was pretty much taken off the table when Haynes left the show, dammit.
DKoren said…
Great interview! Quite a few things resonated with me. And, of course, very much looking forward to "Lonely Satellite" and how things are spun out in that one!
Morgan Richter said…
Thanks, Deb! I'll keep you posted as to when Lonely Satellite gets released...
andiepants said…
Hi Morgan!

Okay, I can't deal with violence on TV or in movies, whether implied or gratuitous. (That's a big reason I refuse to watch "Game of Thrones," for instance.)

BUT, I am willing to give "Teen Wolf" a look because of your endorsement. Can you recommend a non-violent episode? Is there one? I have no problem spending $1.99 for an episode if you can tell me which one to watch.

I can't say it enough--thanks again for the interview!
Morgan Richter said…
Hi, Andie! To me, the show isn't very violent or disturbing (nowhere near Game of Thrones standards), but of course your mileage may vary. There's blood and fighting, but deaths usually happen offscreen, and the violence tends to be pretty cartoonish (I mean, it's more violent than the 1985 Michael J. Fox movie that inspired it, but only slightly). It's mostly a fun, self-aware, sexy teen soap with supernatural/horror elements. If you decide to take the plunge, go ahead and skip the pilot episode (it's okay, but not as goofy and charming as the rest of the season) and try the second episode.

(If you have Netflix, the first two seasons--which are the only ones worth watching, btw, as season three has been absolute crap thus far--are streaming for free. Er, also, the full second episode appears to be entirely up on YouTube here right now.)

Your inner Child of the Eighties might very well dig it. I started watching it solely because Russell Mulcahy(!) is one of the executive producers/directors, and... yeah, the show is pretty much shot like an extra-long Duran Duran video, only with more shirtless locker room scenes. It's kind of awesome.
andiepants said…
Russell Mulcahy?!? You have sold me!

Thank you for the great advice! I'm totally going to watch it now.
Rhonda said…
Morgan:

I've lurked on your site for awhile, your Duranalysis writeups are hysterical. I use them as my "get out of bad mood/funk " trick. The FDA should approve your site as a safe antidepressant/mood lifter - good for alleviating bad emails from work, horrible phone calls from your child's teacher and/or significant other angst.

Loved Bias Cut.

I keep checking the site hoping the new book is out....

Any update on when?
Morgan Richter said…
Thanks so much, Rhonda! I'm so glad you've enjoyed Bias Cut and the Duranalyses! The new book is almost ready -- the ebook should be out by early next week, and the paperback release will probably be a week or two behind. I'll post an update here as soon as I know any concrete dates.